Part 1

This coach was been badly affected by corrosion caused by water entering from various points, including: hatches in the roof, corridor connection framework. The water had run along the inside of the steel frame and panels finding overlapping joints and then corroding from within. Other key areas of rust were door frames and behind the gutters, in fact anywhere where it could pool or weep into joints. The timber noggins had some rot but surprisingly had not fared too harshly.

The first summers work involved finding and sealing leaks in the roof and experimenting with cutting back and making a new corner panel on the yard side out of the public’s way.

Part 2

Next year we were more adventurous, tackling two more corners on the platform side and replacing wooden fencing with steel. Also some running repairs to the step treads and even unblocking the foul water drainage from the galley at a moment of crises for the volunteer staff. Who says men can’t multitask !!

Part 3

Lastly we tackled the curved door frame and head above, which had completely rotted behind the gutter. Our joined did a great job making a new rebated section for the side of the doorframe and relaying the floor panel.

These coaches were never designed to last as long as they have, and it is possible that being static only made things worse. We used galvanised sheet and treated the steel frames with rust inhibiter. The corners curve in two planes so while we folded the corner sheets to a template the final shape was obtained on site. Incidentally we found parts of steel frame that the coach sat on (not it’s original running gear) to make a great anvil and
sheet metal former.

Before

During and After